Are you seeing error 0x800f0831 during windows update. These days lots of people are having this error message while updating windows. Below are the lists of possible solutions that to ca try to resolve this issue.
- Run windows update troubleshooter
Windows troubleshooter can help you resolve most of the issues with your windows. Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter.
- Go to windows settings
- Click on update and security
- On the left panel click on click on troubleshooter
- Click on windows update and run the troubleshooter
2. Enable .NET Framework 3.5
When you get error messages like 0x800f0831 during windows update sometimes it’s because .Net framework is disabled. You can re-enable it and it should work
Here’s the steps you can follow to enable .NET framework 3.5.
- Go to Control panel on your windows
- Click on programs
- Go to program and features
- Click on turn windows features on or off
- Make sure .NET framework 3.5 (include .Net 2.0 and 3.0)
- Restart your computer and check if this works
3. Check Windows Update Setting
If the windows update service is disabled somehow it can cause windows update issue. You can try the steps mentioned below to re-enable it.
- Open run and type in services.msc and click ok
- Scroll down and right click on Windows update and select properties
- Make startup type to automatic and make sure it is running
- Apply the settings and restart your computer and check if the problem is solved
4. Check Proxy
Enabled proxy server can also cause errors during windows updates. Below are the steps to disable proxy.
- Open run dialog box and input inetcpl.cpl
- On the connections tab click on LAN setting button
- Uncheck both “Proxy server for your LAN” and “Automatically detect settings.”
Save the settings and and check if your problem is solved.
5. Perform Windows Restoration
If the steps mentioned above didn’t solve the issue the final step you can try is windows system restoration. First backup your data and restore the system. I would’t suggest you to do this step before trying above steps